Pages

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Gluten Free Graham Crackers


A couple of weeks ago I made graham crackers for a dessert. I used the recipe in our second cookbook, but as I baked them I realized again that I have not been in love with this recipe for a while. Somehow the graham crackers always seem to boil away. And they are chewy… And they just aren't quite as good as I want them to be. So today I decided that I would take a look at the recipe and see what I could do to improve it.



I googled a bunch of regular graham cracker recipes and a bunch of gluten-free graham cracker recipes. I looked at the differences between the recipes and compared them to my recipe. Whoa! Our recipe had twice as much butter, twice as much sugar, and about five times as much baking powder as most of the other recipes! So I  decided that I would to start play around. Most of the gluten-free recipes I found required nearly twice as much flour per cup of butter as the gluten recipes that I found. I decided that I would start with the gluten recipes and make modifications from there. Well, the resulting crackers are perhaps not perfect, but they're much better than the previous recipe was. So I decided to share.

Gluten Free Graham Crackers

1.5 c. EGF all-purpose flour mix
1/2 tsp.  xanthan gum
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp.  cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbs. honey
1/2 c. butter

 Cream butter and brown sugar. Add honey and vanilla and mix well. Add dry ingredients, and mix until well combined.

Turn dough out onto a parchment-paper-lined cookie sheet (I used a 13 x 18 pan).  Cover the dough with a sheet of plastic wrap and roll out until it is 1/8 of an inch thick. Gently cut the dough into cracker-sized rectangles. (The crackers will bake together as they bake, but scoring the dough beforehand makes it easier to cut them again after they are done baking.)  if desired, poke holes in the top of the crackers. (The holes will also bake together as the crackers bake, but it is just possible that they help to keep them from bubbling up?)

Bake at 325° for 15 to 20 minutes. Pull the crackers out of the oven, and re-cut them apart while still warm. Allow them to cool.



Let me know how you like them!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! My daughter LOVED these. They turned out so good, my other two daughters (who are not GF) liked them better than Graham Crackers from the store.

    ReplyDelete