Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Peach Raspberry Cobbler



Sometime last winter (November? December?) I found myself half-kneeling in my backyard, trying to pick up the remains of the peaches that had fallen off the tree in autumn. It was so sad! I'd been in the exhausted stage of pregnancy when the peaches ripened, and I don't think that we ate more than half a dozen of them! Well, this year is different already. I've got boxes of peaches waiting to be bottled, and last night I cut up some of the more bruised ones and made Peach Raspberry Cobbler. I like to make and freeze extra batches of filling so that I can serve it all year long. One and a half batches will just fill a 9x13 pan. Use a double batch if you want more filling (or if you can't imagine trying to use half an egg in the topping).


Peach Raspberry Cobbler

Topping:

1 c. featherlight mix
1/3 tsp. xanthan gum
2 Tbs. sugar
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ c. butter or margarine
1 egg
¼ c. milk


Filling:

2/3 c. sugar
1 Tbs. cornstarch
½ - 1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ c. water
4 cups unsweetened peach slices
¼ - ½ c. fresh or frozen raspberries

Combine all topping ingredients (except for egg and milk) in a small bowl. Mix together until it looks like coarse crumbs. Set it aside.

Peel and slice the peaches. (I used the peaches that had fallen from the tree . . . just make sure you cut off all the bruised parts!)



For the filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Whisk them together to remove any clumps of cornstarch. Add the 1/4 c. of water and whisk it again. (No one wants to find a clump of cornstarch in their cobbler. Blech!) Stir in the peach slices.


Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, then add the raspberries.

When the filling starts bubbling again, remove it from the heat and pour it into a 9x9 baking dish.


In a small bowl, combine egg and milk. Add them to the dry topping ingredients, and stir until just moistened.



You can see that it's rather sticky. Drop spoonfuls of topping on top of the filling, trying to cover most of it.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes, or until topping is a golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Mmmmm . . . I think I'll go eat some more!



No comments:

Post a Comment